A few things before I forget!

A couple corrections:  In yesterday’s post, George’s Camp, I indicated that George was younger than his brother Howard.  The opposite is true.  And three weeks ago, in a post titled on Muggins Crick at the Creek Place, I indicated that the Joe Creek family sold their place sometime in the ’90s.  In actuality, the Creek land sold to Kroenke Ranches in 2003, on the same day the Grierson land did; the Griersons had only leased the Creek Place in prior years.  (I had the chance to visit with my dad today concerning details like this!)


A quick review of yesterday:  I got so caught up in telling the story of George’s Camp last night — and, quite honestly, I was crying into my keyboard — that I neglected to include the other details from yesterday.  So here goes.  The temperature fluctuated between 40° and 20° and various snow squalls went through in the afternoon, though no more than a dusting of snow actually landed on the ground.  In the morning, as the kids and I drove to and from George’s Camp, Beau met with Pepe The Feed Salesman to discuss mineral needs and more for the ranch.  At lunchtime we all ate a quick sandwich together before Beau headed to the Spring Pasture, this time with a fire rig on the back of his pickup — part of the newest proposal for releasing the air-locked waterline headed to the Upper House Pasture.  He met Brian there at the storage tank in the Spring Pasture.  First they pumped water out of the full storage tank and into the fire rig.  Then, using the pipe saddle obtained from Rod Lee, they fixed a hydrant to the pipe where it lay buried about halfway between the storage tank and the first stock tank on the line.  Next, using the hydrant in backwards fashion, they pumped the water out of the fire rig and into the waterline.  AND… IT WORKED!  After a month of banging his head against the wall concerning this particular water system, Beau was a seriously happy guy when he got in last night about 8 p.m.  It worked just like they’d hoped:  the pumped-in water forced the air bubble that had locked the line back up the pipe and into the storage tank… which freed the pipes up and resulted in thousands of gallons of water finally giving into gravity and flowing out of the storage tank and down the pipeline, just like they were always meant to do.  Three cheers!


A quick review of today:  High of 36.  Low of 23.  Light snow flurries all day.  I slept late because I was up late, writing, but Beau was up at about 5:30 to finish ranch bills and get all his correspondence emailed to the corporate ranch office in Bozeman.  I packed a lunch for him and he left in the pickup and horse trailer about 11:00.  He headed to Ridge Camp, at the northwest corner of the PV, south of Sumatra.  He and Nate the Great rode together to gather up a few cows and bring them to the White Corrals there; Dr. Cunningham of Treasure Vet met them at the chute and they ran about a dozen head through.  The goal:  to obtain a liver sample (!) from each cow.  The reason:  these cows were representatives from the pasture group that came up about 50% open at preg-checking last fall.  (Read more about that particular day in 15 days ’til Christmas.)  Dr. Cunningham has been suspicious that bad reservoir water might be to blame for the infertility problem in this bunch of cows.  And so the liver samples will help him to discern the issue… or at least narrow down some possibilities.

At home today, the kids and I focused on school and even made monster cookies for math class (hooray for math!).


This afternoon Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) came over and visited (see answers at top of post) while Grandma helped me prep seasoning packets and two electric roasters full of green beans for Sunday’s church fundraiser (a prime rib dinner).

© Tami Blake

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s