1. We have a 5-year-old who forgets to flush. We have a baby who sneaks into the bathroom and fishes in the toilet every chance he gets. We had a real mess yesterday. I know it’s kind of bathroom humor… but this is my real life, people.
2. This morning 3-year-old Marsi, with her long eyelashes and soft brown hair, whispered sweetly in my ear, Today is the day I’m getting married. She is my mini-me lately, always talking about who she’s going to marry, caring for and even “nursing” her baby dolls… and her 8-year-old brother is pretty concerned about her strange behavior.
3. Speaking of that big brother, Asher has always been a very sweet boy, very kind, very willing to learn from me and comply with my gameplan. But he’s at a stage now where he’s starting to express distaste and disagreement more often — though, like his daddy, he manages to do it ever so politely! The other day, getting Asher ready for church, I made him wear a short-sleeve button-down shirt — yes, in December! — because… well, because all the long-sleeve shirts were in the laundry. I heard him mutter under his breath: “I just don’t see why you would wear a short-sleeved shirt with a coat.” Ha! Someday he’ll understand, right?
4. We are teaching our kids to use “Yes, ma’am” and “No, sir” as part of their daily language, mostly because the habit is engrained in Beau as a result of his Southern upbringing, but also because I agree that instilling respect in them at a young age is a good thing. Anyhow, 3-year-old Marsi gets confused and is forever calling me “sir.” Which is funny because if you think about the Peanuts cartoons, Marcie in the cartoon insists on calling Peppermint Patty “sir.” That dawned on me a couple days ago and I’ve been chuckling about it ever since!
5. And the best for last. The other day 3-year-old Marsi was singing: “Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo with a bandaid on my knee!” Five-year-old Emi corrected: “No, Marsi, it’s like this: ‘Headed to LAS VEGAS with a BANJO on my knee.'” And Marsi said: “Aaaaa-men!”
Happy twelve days ’til Christmas, everyone!
© Tami Blake