- Acting out a pretend military funeral with his little Playmobil guys: “Is everyone sitting comfortable? The show is about to begin.”
- I was changing the baby’s (poopy) diaper. Absorbed in his play and oblivious to the world around him, he lifted his nose and sniffed: “Who’s roasting hot dogs?”
- Mounted on his stick horse in his Indian costume: “I’m gonna go check the buffalo and see if we have any new calves.”
- His favorite breakfast is a pre-packaged sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit. I warmed one up for him one morning and he mentioned that the egg was still cold in the middle. I asked if he wanted me to warm it more. “No,” he said, shrugging, “it’s kind of refreshing this way.”
- Cajoling his little sister through some sort of obstacle course of his own invention: “Do you have it in ya?“
- And finally: “I think I’ll just live in the bunkhouse when I grow up.” Oh, my mama’s heart.
© Tami Blake