- Because he thinks we had country-fried steak for supper and I think we had chicken-fried steak.
- Because he calls them buggies and I call them shopping carts.
- Because he thinks gumbo is soup and I think gumbo is mud.
- Because he thinks the term “papered” describes crazy women and I think it describes horses.
- Because he says creek and I say crick.
- Because he thinks it’s Nevahda and I think it’s Nevada.
- Because he thinks barbecue is a dish of shredded meat with sauce on it. And he’s convinced me he’s correct. But the rest of my people still call a grill a barbecue.
- And that’s only the beginning…
© Tami Blake